Then…. I wrote the first part a couple of years ago when Pakistan was debating our participation in a coalition force to attack Yemen. ...

The Kiss of Death

23:40:00 Samina Rizwan 3 Comments


Then….

I wrote the first part a couple of years ago when Pakistan was debating our participation in a coalition force to attack Yemen. To the credit of our political and military leadership but essentially to the credit of the nation and opposition who registered their resounding outrage, we did not enter the coalition. People’s protest works, we just don’t put it into organized action enough. 

This actually happened.

On a flight to Riyadh, a lovely young Saudi woman sits down next to me and promptly launches into a discussion: "Where you from?" Pakistan, I tell her with a smile. "You live Riyadh?" No, I live in Dubai and sometimes work in Riyadh. "Dubai very nice, Riyadh not nice (cute scowl)!". I know better than to agree with her. I am politically correct and hypocritical...Well, you know, every place is different....blah blah..... and we move on.

A few minutes of silence, then "Bakistan nice?" I know the answer to that one: Sometimes nice, other times not. "You drive Bakistan? You wear Abaya?" A relief to answer YES I DRIVE - I hate it but I drive, and NO I don’t wear Abaya....many do, I don’t because I don’t consider it part of my heritage, my lifestyle. There, I’ve said too much.

She goes back to her iPhone, manicured nails working magic, kohl lined eyes focused on whatever it is she is telling whomever she is messaging. Sent and done, she looks up and says "Bakistan friend of Saudia Arabia...very good friend, protect us, fight for us. Why you not fight Yemen? Bakistan must help."

Suddenly the dark eyes seem all knowing, menacing and accusing. For once in my life I’m hoping a woman really doesn’t know what she's on about, that everything they say about us is correct - we're ignorant. But she has zeroed in on me now, awaiting my answer, almost forcing it out of me.

Ofcourse Habibti, Wallah I go home and tell Raees Al Wuzarah and Fareeq Awal al Bakistan to haul ass and get our already over taxed soldiers to the holy land to fight yet another war that is not ours...defend we must. Geez, the pressure!

I don’t say all of that of course. Instead, while struggling with my seat belt and simultaneously pushing my laptop bag where the flight attendant can not see it, I attempt to explain why it’s wrong to wage wars to begin with. I am obviously not catching her attention and she isn’t listening. Back to the iPhone she has gone, maybe reporting on one truant Bakistani who has raised her voice against the well-considered coalition force to destroy ill-considered, imagined enemies. Shit!

Now I know exactly how our beseeching, befuddled, blundering politicians and bureaucrats feel when the benefactors visit and plant kisses on both their cheeks. The kiss of death!

Now….

The foul-mouthed, ill-advised Defence Minister is given to kindling controversies, sometimes intentionally and always foolishly.  Recently, he has fabricated a headliner about Raheel Sharif’s leadership of the “Islamic Coalition Forces”, a job offered to the recently retired COAS by the death-kissers. 

I am reminded of my sorry attempt to convince a fellow passenger that Pakistan takes principled stands on such matters based upon the nation’s opinion and preference, that we are not a trigger happy, mercenary huddle. Her “hmmff….snort…gurgle…seriously!?” kind of response lingers in my memory and I am forced to admit that I must be in fantastical denial. If the most respected and celebrated contemporary Pakistani, the only General in the world to bring extremist forces to their knees, opts for a leadership position of this nature barely two months after his retirement, ignoring procedure and the nation’s reserve, then I suppose the loathsome Defence Minister  would be right to demand that all of us who live in la la land eat our words.

The “Islamic Coalition” is an oxymoron.  It does not include all Islamic countries. Pakistan is, thankfully, not a member - yet. Chances are the coalition will be bombing countries who should, ideally, be in the coalition. There is likely to be severe lack of collaboration or understanding due to the Shia-Sunni divide which, it seems, this coalition nurtures rather than discourages. I find it incredible that in this day and age military coalitions are still raised and expectations of greater peace are attached to them. Have we learnt nothing from the sorry results of similar coalitions in the past? 
I have more faith in General Raheel Sharif than I do in foreign governments, or my own for that matter. I believe that even if the good General has been offered such a diabolical position, the nation’s categoric NO is reaching his wise ears and if he has not already turned it down, he will do so soon. Pride has been the downfall of many. Let it not be General Sharif’s where he may fancy himself the healer of all ailments that the Islamic Ummah suffers. Those who suffer are not keen to heal themselves. Leave them be.

Image Source: herald.dawn.com

3 comments:

  1. Nicely done Samina!
    "Pride has been the downfall of many. Let it not be General Sharif’s where he may fancy himself the healer of all ailments that the Islamic Ummah suffers."
    I hope this will not be the case. Even if a few additional incentives are thrown in.
    PS: Loved the pidgin English conversation with the Saudi woman. But I think you missed a trick in not telling us how she reeked of perfume, making you and others in the cabin nauseous. Yes?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes indeed Hasan, I recall Oudh Overdose in the cabin. It’s a uniquely clingy aroma, stays with you for days. But look, Ive said too much already. I have work with the Oudh wearers, must earn a living. :)

      Delete
  2. Wisdom is the better part of valour :)

    ReplyDelete